How to Drive Targeted Traffic to Your Website
An Overview of the Best Methods for Attracting High Quality Visitors to Your Website
It’s crucial to realise that completing the design and build of your website is only the first step to online success. ‘Build it and they will come’ died out with the dinosaurs, so you need to put a comprehensive online marketing plan into action to attract high quality visitors.
Imagine you had just opened a physical shop front in a location where there wasn’t much passing traffic. You wouldn’t expect many customers to automatically find you and enter your premises. You would need to engage in marketing and advertising efforts such as flyers, posters, newspaper adverts and press releases to start generating some customers. Building a new website is a very similar proposition.
Ideally you will want to engage some, or all, of the following available methods for attracting visitors to your site, including;
1. Pay Per Click Advertising
Pay per click advertising through Google AdWords is the best method to quickly start generating hits on your website. The huge number of benefits of this revolutionary advertising medium include, but are not limited to the following;
- AdWords Traffic is Highly Targeted - Your advert is only displayed to people who are proactively searching for the services you offer in your area
- AdWords Has the Highest Return on Investment - The ROI from Adwords is much higher than any other form of advertising
- AdWords is Fast - You can start generating clicks within 30 minutes of launching your campaign
- AdWords Can Put You on the Top of Google - Depending on your bid, you could be appearing in the very top of Google results
- AdWords Gives You Control - You can control everything about your adverts including keywords, bid price and ad position, the time of day that they appear, geographic location etc. etc.
- AdWords Lets You Constantly Reduce Costs - With the tools available in your AdWords account you can constantly improve the effectiveness of your ads and thereby drive down the cost. Google rewards effective advertisers with lower costs per click. They also provide tools to automatically do this for you
We would not, however recommend running your own Google AdWords campaign as the learning curve is steep and you can waste a lot of money if you don’t know what you are doing.
Please contact us if you would like to find out more.
2. Search Engine Optimisation
Most of our clients have heard of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and want to appear on the first page of Google for a particular search phrase, such as ‘garage shelving perth’ in the example below;
It is important to realise that gaining high results in the top few position in Google is a longer term goal and can take many months of work. This will vary depending on the amount of competition you have for a particular keyword phrase. Therefore it is important to have a Google Adwords campaign up and running while the slower SEO work is undertaken in parallel.
SEO involves optimising the page content for particular keywords using the tools built into your website, adding fresh content on a regular basis, building the number of links pointing to your website from other websites such as Directories and having an active social media presence.
Because of the amount of work that is involved you may want to outsource this to an external specialist company. We have developed partnerships with some excellent SEO companies, so please contact us for more details on this.
3. Directory Listings
Depending on your particular business sector, there are probably specialist online Directories who list the details of companies in your field. There are also thousands of general business directories on the web where you can list your new website, such as True Local.
These typically allow you to generate a Business Listing with details of your business, a description, images of your products/services, contact details and a link to your website. These can generate traffic in their own right and having a link pointing to your site will assist with your SEO efforts as well.
4. Social Media
Having an active social media presence can provide a steady stream of visitors to your website, engage and inform your customers and boost SEO rankings. Search Engines like to see websites engaging with their customers via social media and will rank your website to reflect this in their search results.
So get onto Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter, YouTube etc and see the benefits for your business.