At our responsive web design Perth studio, we find that lots of clients have some great design ideas when it comes to their new websites. Some, however still have outdated notions and need convincing that the whole idea of updating their website is to present a new image to their customers.
If you don’t have a business website – check out our previous blog post on the ‘5 reasons your business needs a website’.
So from our website design studio in Perth we decided to take a look at some of the common design mistakes that people still seem to be making and how you can avoid falling into the same traps.
I think it’s fair to say that the reason you are updating your website is to appear more modern and to appeal to a wider audience (there are other reasons to update your website and you can read about these in this post ‘7 reasons to update your website’).
I am sure that you don’t want to spend your hard earned money on an updated website that is really no better than the old version and maybe even alienates your customers in the process.
So to give you some idea of what mistakes to avoid, here are some common web design blunders that you need to be aware of. Some of these are also great reasons to update your website as well.
- Pop-ups: There is nothing worse that entering a website and being faced with a pop-up window advertising a free e-newsletter, e-book or some other item. It is annoying and irritating and visitors want to visit your website, not make decisions before they even arrive there.
- Audio pollution: Delete the above – this has to be one of the most annoying features of websites. If you feel that you must have a video or an audio file play automatically when a visitor arrives at your website, then at the very least have an obvious off button. Better yet, don’t do it.
- Visual pollution: Websites that are confusing, too busy, with lots of pop-ups and different colours, waste your visitor’s time. Make it easy for consumers to find the information they need by having a good layout and great navigation.
- Not tracking site activity: It’s all about traffic and if you are not monitoring visitor behaviour – where they are coming from and how they interact with your website, you are leaving money on the table. Install tracking analytics at the design stage.
- Poor content: Boring, confusing and uninformative content that does not engage the consumer or provide the information they are looking for – is self-defeating. Forget the website and stand on the road with a billboard – it might be more effective.
Improving your website is a simple matter, if you are aware of the common pitfalls that so many business owners fall into. For more information on web design Perth, call us on 08 9361 6736, email us at email@example.com or complete our enquiry form.