Why Update Your Site?
7 Reasons to Update Your Website
Welcome to this week’s blog, direct from our website design studio in Perth. This week we are going to talk about updating your website and the reasons behind this decision.
So to start off, just because you have a business website, doesn’t mean that you can ignore it (if you don’t have a website read our previous blog, ‘5 reasons your business needs a website’). A website designed 10 or even 5 years ago is a very different beast to one designed within the last 6-12 months.
This doesn’t mean that you need to update website every year, but it does mean that you need to keep on top of technology and understand changing consumer demands. Then make a strategic business decision to update your website when required:
- Poor content: If your website does not provide the information that consumers demand, in a clear and engaging format, they will vote with their feet and click out of your website.
- Ineffective navigation: Both visitors and search engine spiders need to find their way around your website easily. You need a clear menu hierarchy, a search facility, breadcrumbs, usable buttons with clear call to actions and current hyperlinks.
- Too cluttered: Too many colours, different fonts, poor layout and an abundance of pop-up windows and advertisements will confuse your visitor and make them leave.
- Back end usability: Being unable to update your own content because it has no user-friendly content management system (CMS) makes no strategic sense.
- Mobile friendly: With today’s consumer accessing the internet on their mobile devices, you need a website that displays correctly on all devices. You need a ‘responsive’ design.
- Poor SEO: If your website is not search engine optimised (SEO) you are leaving money on the table right there. If you don’t know how to do this, there are plenty of consultants available. At our website design studio in Perth we have access to the very best SEO consultants for our clients.
- Social Media: This is no longer just for the young and hip to keep in touch. Social media marketing is a whole industry in itself and is fast becoming vital to a strategic marketing plan. Make sure your website is optimised for social networking.
At the Web Shop we love updating our client’s websites and we have some great ideas that will give you maximum functionality with minimum fuss. For more information on website design, call us on 08 6311 7534, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete our enquiry form.